Currently, dental health is an important factor that provides confidence and comfort in any person when smiling. That is why more and more patients are concerned about the appearance of their teeth and Dentistry is evolving in favor of offering solutions in terms of dental aesthetics, such as teeth whitening. Teeth whitening is a treatment that allows people to reflect a healthy and attractive smile. However, when someone decides to have teeth whitening, they should know all about that treatment and see if they are a suitable candidate for the procedure.
Today, teeth whitening is a dental technique that is increasingly in demand by patients. Before, there were only some products that helped improve the color or tone of the teeth; Now there are dental treatments such as teeth whitening with LED light, which allows the patient to recover the white tone of the teeth.
Looking for a good dental treatment in a Dentist newtown Geloong? Check out now.
What is Teeth Whitening?
A teeth whitening aims to remove stains from teeth and lighten the tone of the teeth. These stains can be internal or external depending on their cause, so the treatment will be determined depending on where they are, that is, by applying a gel that changes the molecular level of the stains (colorations) that are in the teeth and removes those fragments that darken the teeth with the use of an LED light that activates the component of the gel used on the teeth. The gel used is made with a hydrogen peroxide base that penetrates through the dentin tubules, generating a reduction and oxidation reaction with which the bonds of the internal pigments of the tooth are broken. In this way, the tooth lightens its color.
The application of the gel is with a special gun and the lamp is placed near the patient’s teeth for approximately 20 minutes. Depending on the yellow tone of the teeth, the treatment time is decided in order to achieve the desired result. The effect of LED teeth whitening starts when the cold light from the lamp causes hydrogen peroxide whitening molecules to be released.
What You Should Know About Teeth Whitening
First of all, it is essential that before starting any dental treatment an evaluation of the patient’s teeth should be made to verify that there are no cavities, fractures or fissures, abrasion or sensitivity. Hence the importance of a prior dental check-up.
On many occasions, patients tend not to know about the subject of teeth whitening and in the dental office one of the most frequent questions is: “Is this treatment dangerous or does it affect the sensitivity of the teeth?” Therefore, it is necessary to emphasize that teeth whitening is applied in order to give patients confidence when speaking, greater self-esteem and a pleasant and healthy smile.
These are some tips that you should take into account when deciding to have this treatment:
- Professional tooth whitening does not harm tooth enamel, as medical studies show that it does not make teeth more brittle or compromise their integrity. On the other hand, performing this treatment at home or at home does put the dental health of the person at risk.
- Almost all people are candidates for teeth whitening, since there are no contraindications for this treatment, only in the case of pregnant women, nursing mothers or people who have had allergic reactions to the material used for whitening.
- To perform a tooth whitening, the specialist must make sure that the patient does not suffer from gingivitis or gum inflation, that he does not have neck sensitivity since these must be treated to avoid later discomfort. Although it is a safe treatment, it is advisable not to have previous conditions. The intensity of the whitening will depend on the preference of each person according to their original color. Almost all teeth respond well, except those stained by tetracyclines (a type of antibiotic) that leave brown or gray spots on difficult-to-treat teeth. Thanks to the whitening gel that oxygenates the enamel of the teeth, the white color of the teeth will stand out with greater light and vitality.
- The results of teeth whitening are immediate, and its duration depends on the care since the patient must maintain a balanced diet that does not involve drinks such as red wine, coffee, tea or tobacco since they have substances that can stain the enamel of the teeth. These substances must be reduced or ingesting them, you must have a good brushing of teeth to try to maintain the whitening over time.
- Whitening is not a substitute for dental cleaning. They are treatments with different purposes, since the first one modifies the color of the teeth, while oral cleaning removes the tartar that is on the surface of the teeth, as well as the stains or stains caused by external agents.